1946 – 1998. Since boyhood David Wilson wanted to pursue a life in art. He was also strongly attracted to religion and at various times considered joining a religious order. After completing high school he found employment with a private law firm in Sydney and studied law part time. He abandoned law and in 1971 enrolled at the Julian Ashton Art School where he later taught.
He studied sculpture with Tom Bass. He was selected for the Kedumba Collection in 1995 and was a finalist in the Dobell in 1996. He and his wife Lu settled in Rockley where he taught privately. A lover of poetry and classical music he believed that to be free of distraction was paramount.
He wrote “The drawing of hands requires precise understanding of structure and form, rhythm and symmetry, some anatomy and sensitivity for this remarkable shape which is so quintessentially human”.
He drew and painted until his death from cancer in 1998.
Acquired by the Trustees from the 1995 Award.